Monday, December 7, 2009

Going to meet Santa for the first time ever!

We took Ward to have his picture taken with Santa on Saturday. We went to Bass Pro Shop because they had the best background, which included a real stuffed reindeer looking over Ward's shoulder. Santa was the best I've ever seen, with a real beard, and perfectly manicured paws. Children all over the store were so smitten with Ward's shoes, I had to keep moving him fast to keep little strange hands from touching him.
(Picture above shows us in the front of the line, and all the people behind us.)
The line was similar to the one in "A Christmas Story". But instead of the kid next to us in line saying, "I like Santa. I like the Wizard of Oz. I like the tin man.", our 6 year old neighbor in line got uncomfortably close to the foot of Ward's stroller and said, "What's his name? What's his name?", so fast I couldn't answer him, then he darted over to a toy display and looked back at us as he pointed to a toy race car with a Number 3 on the side and said, "Look at this, I love this, I love this!". Nascar boy had brought his entire extended family with him. He had a younger brother, still in diapers, which Nascar father was feeding Pepsi, I suppose to keep his strength up for the wait that was rumored to be 2 or 3 hours (we had a pass that we had gotten earlier in the day that gave us an appointment time so our wait was less than 20 minutes). Nascar family then inexplicably threw a jacket on the ground and spread it out. Then the Pepsi drinking, diaper clad child went onto the jacket, his back on the ground of the Bass Pro Shop. Ray was staring down at the commotion and I said, "Ray, quit staring". He whispered, "What are they doing?" Not wanting to lose their place in line, they were of course changing the baby's diaper in front of 150 people.
Another shocking thing to witness was newborns in line. The lady behind us had a 6 week old child. Behind Nascar family was a pair of 3 week old twin girls. Not the best place for newborns, but I guess Santa pictures are a must for some people. Myself included!


Ward fell asleep no less than two minutes before it was his turn to sit in Santa's lap. I held him over my head to try and wake him up. He was kicking and crying as I walked towards Santa to put him in his lap (see above picture for the first few seconds in Santa's lap). I am sure Santa was thinking, great,another screaming child.


Within seconds Ward put on his usual happy face, and smiled, glassy eyed and tired as I fulfilled my need, not his, to have his first Santa picture.

On the way out we held Ward up nose to nose with one of the many coon mounts they have all over the store. He was such a trooper.