
So I love April Fool's Day. Last year I made up a mock Saenger Theater ad that said Jack Johnson was coming to Mobile and sent out a mass email to my friends and family. People asked off from work to make sure they could go before they even bought tickets. I also set all of the clocks in my house an hour ahead while Ray was on a bike ride before work. He thought it took him 2 hours to ride and had missed a business meeting.
So this year I decided to work the whole pregnancy thing. On my way to work, I tried to call Haymes, no answer. But Haymes called me right back. I answered in an excited voice, "Haymes, is Ray with you?!" Haymes: "No, what's wrong?" Me: "My water broke!" H: " OMG, are you kidding?!" Me: "Yes, I am. April Fool's!" H: " I just spilled my coffee on myself and nearly had a wreck. You are just wrong. I am heading into the office now. Wait until I tell you husband what you just did to me." I was going about 60 mph on Hwy 59, almost one-mile from getting on I-10, when I saw something out of the corner of my eye, on my passenger floorboard-MOVING. It was a mouse. It was either a mouse on crack or a kangaroo mouse. This mouse was going ballistic. He was jumping 4-6 times his own height trying to escape. And I had on a dress and sandals, and he was one good hop from coming over into my lap and touching me with one of his toenails (or pawnails?). And I am just thinking if this little son of a gun bites me while I am 8 months pregnant, I don't know what kind of rabies treatment I would have to undergo. So, I got my car off the side of the road and jumped out with my dress nicely tucked into my panties on the back side, mooning all of Hwy 59, and me very visibly 8 months pregnant. I was a little excited. I ran around and opened every door on my car plus the trunk. But, I didn't see the mouse. The first car to stop was a sheriff. I ran to his car and told him, "There's a mouse in my car" He got out of his car and starting walking towards my car. He asked, "Are these your skid marks?" Uh, yea. He looked under the passenger seat and said, "He's probably in the center console" OK, that makes me feel better, so he'd be closer to me when I get back in the car. He then said, "I don't know what else I can do", then left. So I called Ray, who by this time had talked to Haymes. "Ray, there is a mouse in my car doing jumping jacks while I am driving". Ray: "Ashlye, I know this is an April Fool's and I have a huge meeting before lunch that is a 3 hour drive away." Me: "How is ME having a mouse in MY car an April Fool's joke on YOU? I have a mouse in my car and I am not getting back in it! Come trade cars with me." Ray: " I am 30 minutes away and I still don't believe there is any mouse." Me: "Come here to the side of the road where your pregnant wife is please!" Anyway so about 5 more cars stopping and checking on me and having two burly mountain men check out under both car seats AND the center console, I decide I can drive home 6 miles and switch cars. I am hunched over my steering wheel with with my cell phone in hand. Ray calls and the phone vibrates scaring the begeesus out of me. I tell him I am heading home he can go onto his meeting. But that as soon as he gets home tonight he is going to have to find this mouse. So now it's been two days and two glue traps and no mouse. And I am still not driving the car. But, my little karma mouse kept me from playing anymore April's Fool jokes this year. But I'll be back in fool force in 2010.